Break-ins hit Gambier Road

Ohio Route 308, also known as Gambier Road, has been hit by several home invasions in recent weeks.

Knox County Sheriff David Shaffer wrote in an email to the Collegian that, within the past 30 days, a vehicle theft and three burglaries have been reported in College Township, which includes the Village of Gambier. He also said the department’s detectives have serious leads for at least one of the cases of burglary. 

The frequency of break-ins in Knox County has increased from last year, according to an article published earlier this week in the Mount Vernon News.

As of Oct. 1 of this year, 132 breaking-and-entering incidences have been logged in Mount Vernon, compared to 119 total cases in 2014. Capt. Scott McKnight of the Mount Vernon Police Department said the increase of 13 break-ins is greater than one would expect, given Knox County’s population and average crime rate.

“I think a lot of it can be related to the drug problem,” McKnight said. He also said that nearly all of the crimes have been nonviolent, with the perpetrators waiting until their victims have left their homes or cars before breaking and entering.

McKnight said the department, in response to the recent slew of break-ins, is ramping up its efforts to alert the community to the threat of theft, burglary and other break-ins in the area. 

“It’s just the beginning,” McKnight said. “It’s going to take a community effort.”