All talk but no vote on library, campaign

Last weekend’s board of trustees meeting touched on potential future plans for a new library and the upcoming capital campaign. It was also the first meeting for Brackett B. Denniston III ’69 as chairman.

The trustees did not take a vote on either the new library or the capital campaign, according to President Sean Decatur; the only vote was to promote Associate Professor of Spanish Katherine Hedeen and Associate Professor of Classics Adam Serfass to full professors.

While no decision was made on whether or not to move forward with plans to replace Olin-Chalmers Libraries, Decatur said the board, like the campus community, is still learning about the plans and engaging in discussions about what the library project might look like.

Though the capital campaign is still in its early stages, Decatur said the board may approve a goal for the campaign at its winter meeting in February.

Decatur and administrators are working with Heidi McCrory, vice president for college relations, as well as a consulting firm, to investigate donor interest. Representatives from the College have been visiting with potential donors and conducting interviews to gauge what might be a realistic goal for the campaign. The College is still engaged in these interviews, according to Decatur, but he expects them to be done well before the board’s next meeting.

Denniston declined to comment on the record.