Grill reopens following temporary closure

The Gambier Grill has reopened after being closed earlier this summer, and plans to operate as usual this academic year, according to Fred Linger, Kenyon’s manager of business services.

Linger said Andy Durbin, the Grill’s owner and leaseholder, has been seeking to sell the restaurant for over a year.

It’s no secret he would like to find some other owner, but has not been able to accomplish that so he will proceed with opening with the school year,” Linger wrote in an email.

Durbin could not be reached for comment.

The Grill was closed for roughly a month earlier this summer while its parking lot was being repaved and Marilyn Durbin, Andy’s mother and the restaurant’s manager, was recovering from a fall.

Marilyn Durbin noted that Andy runs other businesses and opted not to keep the restaurant open during her absence.

The Collegian reported in July that the Grill did not renew its annual lease with the College, which owns the building behind Farr Hall that houses the restaurant. Marilyn Durbin attributed the delay to the College not providing a copy of the lease until the day before it was due.

Linger wrote in an email that the lease is always in place and that the letter to the Grill simply noted an increase in rent, and was a “formality of bookkeeping.”

According to Linger, the College generally determines the amount of its rent increases using the consumer price index, a national measure of the change in prices paid for certain goods and services. He declined to give the amount of the Grill’s rent increase.

I understand they will return the letter, pay their rent, and open for business,” Linger wrote.

Photo courtesy of Jacob Griffith-Rosenberger.