Grill’s future uncertain after lease lapses

The Gambier Grill’s future is up in the air following manager Andy Durbin’s failure to renew his lease arrangement with the College, which expired on June 30.

Durbin did not immediately respond to phone messages left at the Grill and his home. Despite advertised summer hours of 5-9 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, two phone calls to the Grill last night went unanswered.

A restaurant and bar that operates out of a College-owned building behind Farr Hall, the Grill is one of the more casual dining options in Gambier, along with the Gambier Deli and the Village Inn.

“It has been Kenyon’s understanding that Durbin would renew the lease,” Mark Ellis, director of Kenyon’s Office of Public Affairs, wrote in an email. Ellis said the College emailed Durbin a lease renewal letter on June 30, and that the offer remains on the table.

The present lease arrangement dates back to 2010, when Durbin took over for then-managers Dan and Elizabeth Ralston.

Ellis said the College would not discuss the Grill’s future until Durbin made a decision regarding his business.

The Gambier Grill, known colloquially as the Cove, is seen here on Wednesday, July 8. (Photo courtesy of Jacob Griffith-Rosenberger)