Hazing incidents reported

by Victoria Ungvarsky

Last week’s Village Record (March 31-April 8) cited four instances of hazing activities on campus. However, specific details were not made available to the public. Director of Student Activities and Greek Life Laura Kane acknowledged her awareness of the allegations in an email to the Collegian.

“Consequences for being found responsible for violating the hazing policy/hazing law are determined through the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities and could include a variety of sanctions depending on the circumstances,” Kane wrote.

Kane did not specify the specific organizations facing allegations.

The Collegian reached out to the presidents of each fraternity and sorority on campus to comment; Theta Delta Phi declined, as did Greek Council President Manjul Bhusal Sharma ’16. Alpha Delta Phi, Epsilon Delta Mu, Phi Kappa Sigma and Phi Kappa Tau said they did not know enough about the issue to comment. As of press time, Dean of Students Hank Toutain and Director of Student Rights and Responsibilities Samantha Hughes, as well as Alpha Sigma Tau, Beta Theta Pi, Delta Kappa Epsilon and Zeta Alpha Pi, did not immediately reply to requests for comment.

Correction: In an earlier version of this article, The Collegian stated that the presidents of Delta Tau Delta and Delta Phi were contacted for this article, when in fact, the presidents were not contacted. The Collegian regrets this error.