Student Council: Sunday, Feb. 22

by Steven Schmidt

The Sophomore Class Committee did not report any updates.

The Housing and Dining Committee will begin to repaint the Caples Residence Hall elevator.

First-Year Council is planning a Weaver Wednesday event for April.

The Buildings and Grounds Committee reported that the beet sugar de-icer is not effective. To determine priorities for the Master Plan, they will distribute a survey for student feedback.

The Business and Finance Committee did not have any updates.

Campus Safety will put up anti-vandalism posters over spring break.

The Junior Class Committee raised $1,100 at the class auction and did not meet.

The Senior Class Committee met to discuss plans for senior week.

The Student Life Committee approved two new student groups, Kenyon Media Arts Critics and the Kenyon Fishing Club. Student Council approved both organizations.

President Sean Decatur visited Student Council to discuss an initial draft of the 2020 plan. He encourages discussion and feedback from students. The 2020 Committee’s goal is to have a final draft of the plan to present to the Board of Trustees at their April meeting. 

Samantha Hughes and Jill Engel-Hellman visited Student Council to discuss the new sexual and gender-based harassment and violence policy. Their goal is to make students more aware of the policy by incorporating it more into the student experience and to reduce sexual violence on campus. Under the new policy, the Student Conduct Review Board will no longer hear sexual misconduct cases; rather, they would be investigated by a hired third party in conjunction with a Kenyon representative.