Student Council: Sunday, Feb. 1

by Steven Schmidt

The Business and Finance Committee (BFC) held a supplemental meeting last week. Student Council voted to approve all BFC budget allocations.

The Campus Safety Committee reported that a lighting walk occurred last week to fix dead lights and to decide where new lights should be working. The Committee is also looking into a new emergency response system.

The Greek Council Representative reported that bid week went well.

The Senior Class Council is planning Fandango and Senior Week. The Baccalaureate speaker will be announced at Fandango this Friday, Feb. 6.

The Junior Class Council met last week and set up a list of donors for the junior class auction. They are looking for new members.

The Sophomore Class Council will set up a workshop about summer internships in collaboration with the Career Development Office.

The Buildings and Grounds Committee met with Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman about the best possible de-icer. Buildings and Grounds is looking to use beet sugar, an organic alternative to salt. The main drawback is price: one barrel, or 50 gallons, costs $650.

The Multicultural Council spoke about its goals and tried to define its policies, which will exist as an umbrella entity over the current cultural groups on campus. 

The Academic Affairs Committee discussed the problems with scheduling athletic practices during common hour. The committee is also considering changing the pre-med curriculum to reflect changes in the content of the MCAT and the possibility of implementing a standardized excused-absence policy.

The Student Life Committee did not meet.

The Housing and Dining Committee will begin a pots-and-pans drive this week.