Greek alumni share careers

by Deborah Malamud

Several successful Greek alumni  in an array of fields returned to campus on Saturday, Feb. 21 to speak to about life after Kenyon

The room was near capacity when Felix Janssen ’16, Greek Council’s alumni relations coordinator, began the event by thanking the four alumni, Caitlin Cody ’05 of Epsilon Delta Mu, Sam Baker ’13 of Delta Kappa Epsilon, John Furniss ’97 of Alpha Delta Phi and Jody Tyrpak ’91 of Theta Delta Phi.

“We couldn’t have this event without alumni like you, [who] stay involved after Kenyon,” Janssen said. The first annual Greek alumni panel was held last year, when Greta Greising ’16, then the Greek Council’s alumni relations coordinator, created and developed the event.

This year’s Greek alumni panel, like last year’s, “[was] open to the whole campus,” Bhusal Sharma, president of greek council, said. Though last year’s event was a success, complete with résumé reviews, a luncheon and attendance by Greek and non-Greek students alike, Bhusal Sharma said that this year “Janssen … along with [Director of Career Development] Scott Layson modified the program a little bit.”

The alumni told the stories of their career paths from 4-5 p.m. Caitlin Cody ’05, who currently heads the Alumni Leadership Council, told attendees about her work in advertising.

“I am a creative strategist,” she said at the event. “I’m the person who a brand comes to, and says, ‘Here’s our problem,’ and I have to marry that problem with what the consumer actually wants.”

Attendees also heard from Baker, who works as a mortgage loan analyst for Standard Financial Group in Portland, Ore., Furniss, a partner at Bricker & Eckler LLP in Columbus, Ohio, and Tyrpak, the director of operations and strategic initiatives at Ernst & Young in Cleveland, Ohio.

“The Alumni Panel was incredibly run and attended,” Madelyn Cook ’17, President of Zeta Alpha Pi, wrote in an email to the Collegian. “I loved hearing about how the alum[ni] are still able to apply the leadership skills they developed through their involvement in Kenyon Greek life to everyday scenarios in the workplace. … Anecdotes like the ones they shared give me faith my choice to go Greek will continue to enrich my life experience and leadership abilities far beyond my years on the Hill.”