PEEPS out, ФKT in

PEEPS out, ФKT in

By Victoria Ungvarsky

As the semester draws to a close, Greek Council is witnessing a shift in its composition, with the fraternity Phi Kappa Tau (Phi Tau) officially joining and the co-ed Greek organization Peeps O’Kenyon (PEEPS) voting to leave.

During their meeting this past Monday, Greek Council voted unanimously in favor of allowing the Phi Taus onto Greek Council following a presentation from the organization. Phi Tau had a two-year probationary period, during which the members could demonstrate their dedication to joining Greek Council through community service, engagement in campus activities and recruiting new members.

Phi Tau President Peter Granville ’16 is eager for the fraternity to have an increased presence on campus. “I hope that as time goes on, we have more influence on how Greek life functions in general and people’s perceptions of Greek life, because we’re trying to make it a little more diverse,” he said.

Greek Council President Manjul Bhusal Sharma ’16 welcomes the addition of the organization to Greek Council. “Phi Taus have done a lot of service and philanthropy over the last year,” Bhusal Sharma said. “They have made an impact on campus and created a good name for themselves.” He hopes that, in the future, members of Phi Tau run for executive positions on the council.

As the Phi Taus prepare to join, the PEEPS make their exit from Greek life. The PEEPS began to consider leaving Greek Council at the start of the year, when faced with changes in Greek life under new Director of Student Activities and Greek Life Laura Kane. However, the feelings of alienation predated the start of the school year.

“Part of our history has always been, in relation to Greek Council, that we have never fit in to it,” PEEPS Co-President Alivia Bloch ’15 said. “So, with the new administration, [leaving Greek Council] was presented to us at the beginning of the semester.” The decision is partly prompted by the organization’s difficulties with certain aspects of Greek life, including the standards of excellence.

Kane spoke positively about the change in the makeup of Greek Council, as she recognized the unusual position of the PEEPS. “There were requirements set forth from Greek Council, such as Standards of Excellence, that simply did not make sense for PEEPS due to the mission and values of their organization,” Kane wrote in an email to the Collegian. “I think that the PEEPS will have the opportunity to have a better experience not having to try to fit into a mold that didn’t necessarily work.”

Although the PEEPS will be leaving Greek life, they will likely retain their division housing, as division is not exclusive to Greek life.