Cleveland Browns may come to town

Cleveland Browns may come to town

By Henri Gendreau and Alex Pijanowski

Kenyon is reportedly one of a small number of institutions the Cleveland Browns football team is considering as the site of its three-week summer training program for 2015.

The Browns, a franchise in the National Football League (NFL), could attract crowds of people to the Hill and serve as a source of revenue.

“The Cleveland Browns are looking for a new summer training camp facility, and they have inquired at Kenyon,” a College administrator said. “Kenyon is negotiating with the Browns.”

Bids to host the Browns were due Aug. 15 of this year, according to an article published on cleveland.com in September about a push by Columbus business leaders to site the team, though it is unclear at what point Kenyon entered into negotiations.

According to the administrator, Kenyon is now in the running with “one or two” other central Ohio institutions. It is unknown whether the campaign by the CEO of Columbus Partnership, a business development company, is still one of those under consideration. Although Columbus Partnership had not offered a definitive site in the Columbus area, proposed both Ohio Dominican University or a newly constructed facility as potential summer homes for the Browns.

“Kenyon’s discretion in the matter helped attract and keep the interest of the Browns,” the administrator said. “Kenyon has many attributes that have made it a finalist.” In contrast to some of its fellow contenders, Kenyon’s candidacy has not been widely publicized.

Certain institutions that received media attention, such the University of Akron and Kent State University, had also been under consideration, according to an article published in The Akron Beacon Journal on July 29. In that article, Browns Head Coach Mike Pettine discussed what the team is seeking in its training camp facilities.

“The condition of the fields is very important,” Pettinen said in that article. “Having ample grass practice fields, that’s important. I think you then look at just the overall facilities, the quality of the facilities, meeting space, cafeteria, dorms, whatever it is, whether you’re going to be in a hotel off-site. There are a lot of factors that come into play.”

The Browns’s public relations department declined to comment.

[starbox id=”Alex Pijanowski,HenriGendreau”]