Rash of verbal harassment unsettles Gambier

By Maya Kaufman

Trouble came knocking last Thursday evening in the North Campus Apartments (NCAs). Students reported that two young males knocked on the door of their NCA and yelled “sexual obscenities” at them, according to a safety notice emailed to Student-Info by Campus Safety Administrative Assistant Miracle Mahle. The individuals reportedly drove off in a silver car.

The NCA incident, which is currently under active investigation, follows two recent reports of individuals in vehicles yelling offensive language at passers-by.

“While there is no evidence linking any of these situations, we are aware of increase of such activity throughout our community,” Mahle wrote in her email to the student body.

Gabriella Cooper ’16 experienced one such incident approximately two weeks ago crossing the street to Wiggin Street Coffee, when two young males in a car slowed down to allow her to cross. “As I was crossing, they … hollered, and then they called me the n-word as they drove away,” Cooper said.

“I wasn’t really that surprised, honestly,” she said. “A small part of me was a little bit relieved that it had happened, because I’ve been waiting for this to happen ever since I got to Kenyon. … Just going to a small school in rural Ohio, you expect that kind of stuff.”

Cooper does not believe the men were necessarily students of the College. She added that, because of the randomness of such an incident, she does not think much can be done in terms of preventative measures.

Mahle’s safety notice advised individuals to immediately call Campus Safety if they see a suspicious person and not to let unidentified people into buildings.

“We continue to be [as] visible in the area as possible,” Robert Hooper, director of Campus Safety, wrote in an email to the Collegian. “This has happened in the past, and has happened from time to time over the years.”