New trustees elected

By Erich Kaletka

The Board of Trustees has elected three new members: Ruth Fisher, a parent of a Class of 2017 Kenyon student, Chris Toft ’89 and Todd Leavitt ’73.

The new trustees will serve on the board as the College continues to try and preserve its identity as a bastion of the liberal arts and sciences and increase its national image and recognition. Toft is eager to start his term as a trustee.  “I love Kenyon both for what it was during my time as a student and for the bold path that it is on now,” he said. “Kenyon has a distinct place in higher education and, as our world becomes more transactional and less introspective, the value of a liberal arts education increases.”

Leavitt has been actively involved with Kenyon since he graduated in 1973. He makes yearly donations, has represented Kenyon at college fairs as well as other events and has served as the president of the Alumni Council for many years.

As a trustee, he hopes to have “one more opportunity to repay the debt [owed to Kenyon], using whatever life skills I may have available to assist in determining, at board level, actions that will benefit Kenyon.”

All three of the new trustees mentioned the value they see in Kenyon and the hopefulness they have for the College’s future. Fisher, in particular, described herself as “very eager to find a way to help support Kenyon in its continuing mission of offering a wonderful educational experience to a diverse group of students.”

The new trustees will be formally instated into four-year terms during the October board meeting, which begins today and continues until this Saturday, Oct. 25.

Trustees will discuss the development of the 2020 strategic plan, efforts to enhance the first year experience and the 2015-2016 College budget. The Board will also be hearing updates on the Class of 2018 and the building of the Class of 2019.

President Decatur reiterated the importance of the 2020 plan at this week’s meeting. “I’ve been giving updates on campus to the faculty and to student council and to staff council, so I’ll be giving an update to the board on where we are with Kenyon 2020,” Decatur said. “I’d say that’s the biggest goal that I have for this that conversation – to catch up the trustees with the conversations that are going on on campus.”