Ice cream: the new workout

By Maya Lowenstein

Get ready to swipe your K-Cards — Jeni’s ice cream arrived at the Kenyon Athletic Center’s (KAC) Xttraction Café this past Monday and is available for purchase. Founded in 2002 at Columbus’ North Market by Jeni Britton Bauer, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams has, according to its website, “created ice creams that we fall madly in love with.”

AVI Resident Director Kim Novak said that Jeni’s is “an upscale ice cream created with local milk, high butter fat and interesting whole ingredients that make the ice cream really special and delicious.” Some of the flavors that will be sold at the KAC include “salty caramel,” “brambleberry crisp” and a peanut-butter-and-chocolate flavor called “The Buckeye State.” Socially and environmentally conscious, Jeni’s uses “grass-grazed Ohio milk from a family of small farms within 200 miles of our kitchen,” according to its website. Jeni’s states that ingredients are “shipped directly to us from local farms and from around the world.”

The partnership between Kenyon and Jeni’s began with a student who approached an employee at Jeni’s and asked if the ice cream could be sold at Kenyon. Keeping campus dessert politics in mind, Novak ensured that there would not be a “conflict of ice cream” between Jeni’s and the ice cream sold at the Kenyon College Bookstore. “Jeni’s is a very different ice cream,” Novak said. “It’s a different style, it’s not ‘scoop’ ice cream.”

Many students, including Maryland native Lauren Eller ’18, may not have heard of or tasted Jeni’s before its introduction at the KAC. “I don’t really know what it is but I’ve heard it’s really good,” Eller said. However, others, including Griffin Tullis ’18, have been Jeni’s customers in the past. “Jeni’s has a lot of interesting flavors that are really good,” he said. Tullis’s personal favorite is an Intelligentsia coffee flavor.

Jeni’s ice cream will be available in pints, “indies” (six-ounce containers) and ice cream sandwiches. A great reward after a tough workout in the KAC, Novak welcomes everyone in the Kenyon community to come try it.