CDO merges with Provost

By Erich Kaletka

How can Kenyon students recognize the skills they have earned and be better prepared for life in the workforce? This is a question the Career Development Office (CDO) is trying to answer. Last Monday, the CDO began its transition from the Department of Student Affairs to the Office of the Provost.

Provost Joe Klesner says the reason for the shift lies in the fact that “we want career education to start earlier than it has before.” According to Klesner, this will not, however, have an effect on the way classes are taught, or the way pedagogy is developed. “I’m not imagining changes in the operation right now, but essentially an enlisting of faculty into career education as well,” Klesner said.

Indeed, Scott Layson, director of the CDO, mirrored the above sentiment in an email to the Collegian. “I hope to see this effort evolve into a systematic approach that allows students to continue to be intellectually curious, pursue those disciplines they find stimulating, while also having the connections and supports necessary to effectively identify an initial post-Kenyon path along with the tools to pursue that path,” he wrote.

Associate Professor of English Jene Schoenfeld expressed enthusiasm about the move. She said she doesn’t expect the shift to change her teaching but does “hope that it will have impacts on advising, and I think it is a good idea.”