Village Market restores some hours in wake of staff shortage

by Emily Sakamoto

Those looking to satisfy their craving for a midnight snack  may have to alter their definition of “midnight” for the time being.

The Village Market, Gambier’s sole grocer, is currently short-staffed following the hospitalization of two key employees, one of whom is Marianne Cunningham. Market Manager Tim Newton did not release the name of the other employee for reasons of confidentiality.

“I know the Beta [fraternity has] always loved Marianne,” Newton said. “They serenade her every year.”

Two new employees have been hired and Newton is on the hunt for a third; training the new employees is part of the delay in the Market returning to normal operating hours.

Beginning Sunday, Sept. 7, the Market will extend its closing to 10 p.m. The following week, the establishment will return to normal business hours, from 8 a.m. to midnight except on Sundays, when it opens at the delayed hour of 10 a.m.

The Village Market staff expressed sympathy regarding the needs of the Kenyon student body and the community as a whole. “We’re just asking everybody to anticipate their needs,” Newton said. “Just bear with us.”