Student Council minutes

By Graham Reid

• Student Council heard updates from class committees focusing on event planning and fundraisers.
  • Campus Senate informed council about a discussion of the costs associated with art and music classes; the discussion has provoked further investigation.
  • The Business and Finance Committee (BFC) reported on a request from Greek Council to fund the driver certifications for Safe Rides. The request provoked a large-scale discussion which included the possibility of fully funding Safe Rides.
  • Campus Safety reported on a planned lighting walk, which aims to find dangerously underlit areas on campus.
  • The Housing and Dining Committee discussed the problem of dish recovery bins and a planned map to alleviate the issue.
  • Council heard updates from the Buildings and Grounds Committee on a potential senior gift gazebo and a new shipment of salt for roads.
  • The Student Life Committee reported their recommendations on three student groups.
  • International Society at Kenyon (ISAK) had previously been approved, but neglected to complete their end of semester evaluations. The Student Life Committee recommended the group expand their leadership structure to an executive board. Council approved the re-approval of ISAK.
  • Art Organization of Kenyon (AOK) is a group aimed at promoting art installations and workshops. Council was worried about potential overlap with programs from the Gund Gallery, and the College’s official Art Installation Committee, and voted to recognize the group on probation.
  • Kenyon Students for Justice in Palestine is a group aiming to promote the liberation of the Palestinian people and provide the Palestinian perspective of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
  • The Student Life Committee also brought up its forthcoming election and subsequent transition process.