Horn Gallery grants offer chance to shine on stage

Horn Gallery grant winners Becca Weiser ’14, Natalie Margolin ’14, Edek Sher ’13, Sandy Stibitz ’14, Natalie Wardlaw’16, Jackie Arkush ’16 and Willie Udell ’13.

By Maya Kaufman

Last week the Horn Gallery announced the recipients of this semester’s art and theatre grants. The program awards two $250 grants in each category to fund shows in the Horn’s space. Mary Hollyman ’14, co-manager of the Horn, said the grants were introduced to “give people the opportunities and the resources to put on a production or a show that they wouldn’t have otherwise been able to execute.”

Applicants are chosen based on how they will use the Horn’s space and how they plan to spend the grant money. Horn members evaluate each application and vote on recipients. “We look for things that are really unusual and that would use the space in an interesting way,” Hollyman said of the selection process. They also look for applicants who might not otherwise have the opportunity to produce a show through the Art or Drama Departments.

Beyond shows that make good use of the Horn’s space and funding, club members consider which projects are most interesting to them. “If it’s something that the Horn thinks is cool, it’s probably something that an audience of random Kenyon students would think is cool,” said Jack Washburn ’16, co-manager of the Horn.

This year’s grant recipients were chosen for their originality and vision to utilize the Horn space.

Theatre grant recipient Doug Healy ’14 is working on a one-man show to perform at the Horn. The material is original and will be loosely based on a five-minute piece Healy wrote as an intern at the Ojai Playwrights Conference. The money will go to set decorations and props, such as a backdrop of used mirrors, which will support the thematic ideas of the script.

Natalie Margolin ’14 and Becca Weiser ’14 received the other theatre grant to produce a contemporary musical theatre cabaret. They will use the grant money to purchase sheet music and equipment as well as refreshments to serve on the night of the performance.

Alumni Willie Udell ’13, shop supervisor and technician in the Art Department, and Edek Sher ’13 received an art grant to fund a show centered on technology. Both artists are spending the grant money on electronics for their pieces, including, DC motors, speakers and display cases for computer monitors. Udell described his work as industrial; one proposed piece for the show will serve as a commentary on American land expansion and land usage. Sher focuses on digital interactivity and is designing a piece about connecting with other people through technology.

Jackie Arkush ’16, Charlotte Greene ’14, Sandy Stibitz ’14 and Natalie Wardlaw ’16 received an art grant to fund a four-person show in which each will show their individual work, including both pre-existing pieces and works created for the show. The four students will split the funds and put them towards the cost of art supplies, such as encaustic paints and wood for building frames.

Greene was excited about the opportunity that the Horn grants present. “I’m not an art major, and I just want to have a show at some point,” she said. “I feel like I’ve been doing a lot over my time at Kenyon, and I’d just like to share something. It’s nice to have a presence.”

Although the Horn is currently planning to keep the grant program as is, the organization may apply for a larger budget in the future in order to give out more grants. Both Hollyman and Washburn emphasized that it is not necessary to apply for a grant in order to put on a show at the Horn — those interested in showing can email the Horn to reserve the space.