College to install new trash cans

By Graham Reid

The familiar red trash cans of Middle Path will soon be replaced with black cans of cast iron and aluminum, with replacement work beginning in the spring. The new cans will be installed not just on Middle Path but all over campus. According to Director of Facility Operations Greg Widener, the cost per can is estimated at $1,900, including installation expenses like the concrete needed to attach the cans. Widener called the new units “the Cadillac of trash cans,” saying they are sturdier than the current wooden models, which require periodic maintenance. The cans boast sleek aluminium finished with a polyester coating to prevent rust, fading and peeling.

“We are trying to replace all of the old trash cans,” Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman said in an email. According to Widener, the planning process will evaluate locations in order to meet Kenyon’s need for waste disposal. Ten new cans would cost the college $19,000 if all are purchased at the per-unit price.

“Once we get through winter, the work will begin replacing the old cans,” Kohlman wrote. Widener called the new cans “more Kenyon-esque” than alternative cans considered in the search, including those used by the Village near the Gambier Community Center.