Alt Prom deemed overall success

By Phoebe Roe

Last Saturday night, Kenyon students flocked to the Alumni Dining Room in lower Peirce for Alternative Prom (Alt Prom), a party devoted to celebrating differences.

“There was a lot of cross-dressing, there were a lot of onesies, people who probably just rolled out of bed and came for the food,” said Annette Covrigaru ’14, co-manager of Unity House.

Brainstorming for Alt Prom started last fall, when Unity House, the Queer Women’s Collective, the Queer Men’s Society and the Crozier Center for Women came together to begin planning an event. “We were very interested in doing a prom that was intentionally inclusive,” said Aaron Dripps ’14, co-manager of Unity House.

The group applied for Phebruary Phunds and was chosen as one of two groups awarded funding to host an all-campus party. From there, the group faced the challenge of defining exactly what they wanted to do, and how to make it happen.

“Part of the challenge was that how we were envisioning the event as purposefully vague so people can interpret it in any way they want — that was hard to convey,” Dripps said.

The event offered live music and dancing, as well as some alternative activities, such as a popular photo-booth and an activity room with fake tattoos and facepaint.

“We took a good 800, 900 photos [that are] now on Facebook; everywhere you go is, like, a rainbow,” Covrigaru said.
Students who attended the event shared their thoughts.

“I liked that there were options for people, so if you wanted to take a break from dancing you didn’t just have to stand against the wall,” Madi Thompson ’16 said.

Some students were less positive.  “I was very disappointed that they did not have substantial food items available for the entirety of the event, also I felt as if it was too brightly lit and it was a little awkward,” Lauren Anderson ’14 said.

As for whether or not Alt Prom will return next year, Dripps and Covrigaru agree it is too early to say — that decision will be made by next year’s group leaders.