LBIS revamps allstu, allemp for ease

By Madeleine Thompson

Members of the Kenyon community may have noticed something different about their phones this semester — they’re not buzzing nearly as much. Ron Griggs, vice president of Library and Information Services, has headed an initiative to change the configuration of all-student emails (allstu) that went into effect Jan. 10.  “We changed … some of the back-end software that runs allstu,” Griggs said. “By changing it, we tried to achieve several advantages.”

Those advantages include establishing an allstu archive, which means users won’t have to hang onto their emails but can instead search for them in a database, and increasing autonomy over how many and what kind of allstu emails come to users’ inbox. “It’s merging the technologies of an online discussion board and a mailing list,” Griggs said. “People felt overwhelmed by the amount of messages that came through allstu and allemp.”

Griggs and his team had considered the change since September, and several test groups were introduced to the new allstu format last semester in order to predict how the new format would be received. That said, fewer than half of Kenyon students even subscribe to allstu.

Griggs sent out an email on Jan. 9 with details about how users can customize their inboxes, like receiving emails in combined updates of 25 messages, receiving daily summaries or receiving a new email for every new message. “We thought people would want to see [allstu and allemp emails] if they could see them in a more convenient way,” Griggs said.