Section: Must read

College suspends campus fraternity after hazing allegations

Two weeks ago, Vice President for Student Affairs Meredith Bonham ’92 received a letter under her office door suggesting a campus fraternity engages in hazing activities, including branding their members. Since that time, one fraternity has stepped forward saying that the letter may have been referring to them. The College suspended the fraternity and the organization is now under investigation. The fraternity will not be able to throw parties or hold meetings during this time.

Three people familiar with the matter said that the fraternity was Delta Kappa Epsilon (DKE). The DKEs were founded in 1852 and were the College’s first fraternity.

Bonham said she would not disclose the name of the fraternity because the investigation is ongoing. The Collegian also reached out to the DKE president, but he declined to comment.

Bonham said she and six other administrators received the anonymous letter about two weeks ago. Bonham called a meeting with all of the fraternity presidents after receiving the letter and urged the alleged offenders to step forward. A few days later, Bonham said she and President Sean Decatur received another anonymous note. This note, from a fraternity, suggested that they thought the letter was referring to their organization, and asked for amnesty if the group would identify itself.

Bonham said she sent an email to the fraternity presidents and said they could not offer amnesty, but would look favorably upon the organization if they stepped forward.

Bonham said the organization has identified itself, and the College has begun its investigation.

James Jackson, director of student rights and responsibilities, and his office will interview every member of the organization and determine a ruling later in the year.

Jackson wrote in an email to the Collegian that his office would not comment due to the ongoing nature of the investigation.

Jackson sent a Student-Info email on April 6 about reporting hazing violations. In the email, he linked to Kenyon’s hazing policy as well as the Ohio state hazing law.

“Common barriers in hazing prevention are 1) failure to report hazing activities and 2) lack of knowledge of reporting opportunities,” Jackson wrote. “If you are unsure if an activity or behavior is appropriate or inappropriate, approved or unapproved, please consider filling out the form.”