Kenyon students reflect fondly on October break adventures

With fall quickly approaching its peak, students and faculty alike recently enjoyed the first break of the school year. Throughout this four-day weekend, students were free to do whatever they pleased, whether that was staying on campus, going back home or traveling with friends. For many, October break provided the relaxation they so direly needed.

“Fall break was a much needed recess from the stress of classes that allowed me to recharge a bit,” Laney Goodrum ’26 wrote in an email to the Collegian. “I’ve been praying for that recess ever since we got back!”

While some students took the opportunity to leave campus, others chose to stay back and invited friends to visit: “I’m from Texas, so going home wasn’t really an option for me. That said, my best friend from home came up to visit Kenyon and that was such a gift!” Goodrum said. “We visited the farm, went into Columbus, threw a surprise party for my friend’s birthday and drank lots of Wiggin [coffee].” 

Jack Burczak ’23 also stayed on campus. “The break wasn’t long enough to justify a legitimate vacation, and I really enjoy[ed] spending the additional free time with friends on campus,” he wrote in an email to the Collegian. Throughout his break on campus, he had the opportunity to work on assignments and other extracurricular activities.

On the contrary, several students went home to visit friends and family. Among those students is Thomas Murphy ’26, who took the liberty of returning home. “Fall break was a really fun time. I went to Cincinnati because I wanted to see my family and friends, and also my dogs,” he said.

Of course, there were students who were adventurous and took the opportunity to travel elsewhere. Owen Rodstrom ’26, among those who decided to explore another place, drove to Chicago with a couple of his friends. “I chose to leave because I wanted to take the opportunity to get away from campus and experience something new and different from Kenyon,” he said. He had the opportunity to visit friends at other schools, like Northwestern University and Loyola University Chicago. “I was able to visit local colleges and even attended a Northwestern football game!”

All in all, the general consensus among students is that October break was imperative to their college experience. Not only was it essential for them in terms of taking a break from stress-inducing activities, it was a great opportunity to experience new things. “We haven’t had days off until now, and I think even a short break is extremely beneficial,” Rodstrom said, as he expressed his thoughts on the opportunity to re-energize himself. “Fall break was a great experience for me and something I will never forget.”