Young Musician winners to perform with Knox Symphony

This Saturday, Feb. 12, the Knox County Symphony will have its winter concert in Rosse Hall at 7:30 p.m. The winners of the Young Musicians Competition — an annual competition that was held in October — will perform alongside the Symphony. This includes both the high school and college division, with students from Kenyon College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University (MVNU) and Mount Vernon High School (MVHS). The evening will be an impressive display of talent, and is an exciting opportunity for Kenyon students and community members to celebrate the hard work of these young musicians.

Emily Springer, a junior at MVHS, will be one of the musicians featured on Saturday. Springer won the high school division playing the third movement of Vivaldi’s Violin Concerto in G minor. She is MVHS’ symphonic concertmaster and has played violin in the public school system’s music department for six years.

Linnea Mumma ’22, recipient of the Kenyon Music Merit Scholarship, won the college division singing “Deh vieni, non tardar” from Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro and “Oh, quand je dors” by Franz Liszt. Karolina Edlund ’22, also a scholarship recipient, tied for second place with Elizabeth Sharrock, and she will be singing “Laudate Dominum” by Mozart and “Adele’s Laughing Song” by Johann Strauss Jr. Sharrock is playing Cécile Chaminade’s Flute Concertino Op. 107, movement 1. 

“I’m so excited to perform with the Symphony. It’s been so wonderful rehearsing with them and getting to sing live again, especially with two pieces that have helped me grow as a performer,” Edlund said. 

Dr. Benjamin Locke, professor of music at Kenyon, has been conducting the Knox County Symphony for 38 years. On the Symphony’s website, Locke addresses how COVID-19 has impacted the orchestra and all the student musicians. “I am proud of how the string players of the ensemble managed to safely rehearse and perform during the past year of the pandemic, thus maintaining our record of continuous operation since the orchestra’s founding in 1965,” he wrote. “I was even more gratified by how the Knox County community maintained support for the organization in spite of the challenges posed by the coronavirus.”  

Tickets for the in person performance will be sold at the door, but can also be secured by calling Sarah Goslee Reed at (740) 392-4955. Kenyon students and community members are welcome and encouraged to attend for a night of classical performances.