Students prove their diligence in music in biannual recital

Kenyon’s Biannual Angela Waite Recital this past Saturday in Brandi Recital Hall exemplified Kenyon students’ passion for music. Eight students, ranging from first years to seniors, performed one to two pieces on an instrument they have been studying. Audience members were blown away with the performers’ attention to detail, as well as their persistent confidence and rhythm on stage.

Jose Niño ’23 described the process of getting chosen to perform at the recital. Unless it is a student’s first time taking private lessons, they are required to perform in front of a jury as part of their final grade. The eight students selected for the performance on Saturday had all given exceptional performances in December in front of a jury.

For most of the performers, music is an important part of their lives. Niño began playing the trombone in fifth grade, and chose to continue his craft at Kenyon. Niño walked on stage poised, trombone in hand, with his accompanying pianist, Rebecca Abbott. There were two movements in Niño’s piece, “Allego, an Andante.” In “Allego,” the trombone had a deep, almost dark tone to it. In “Andante,” the trombone took on a more lively, faster-paced rhythm.

The versatility in Niño’s two performances is also apparent in his everyday music life. For one, Niño is part of the Symphonic Jazz band, and he takes private trombone lessons. He also “[has] a little jazz combo with some first years … we kind of get together and we play together and stuff,” Niño said. Music exploration clearly doesn’t stop in the classroom. “I have also learned Baritone and a little bit of trumpet,” he said. “I have started to get into piano.” Devotion to the art and education of music is apparent among all the performers.

The recital began with Eli Hilton ’23 playing the piano slowly and melodically, before increasingly getting faster and more powerful. The recital kept audience members on their toes, because each performance had a completely different sound. The audience was stunned by Anna Deryck’s ’20 12-minute violin solo. The concert came to a close with Max Lazarus’ ’20 saxophone piece, “Donna Lee.” He started the piece tapping his foot to the beat, and then dove into the smooth sound of the saxophone.

The students’ perseverance and enthusiasm helped create this harmonious performance, along with the help of their instructors and professors. The music community at Kenyon has continued to grow and expand, and with it, students have learned more about both music and themselves.