Legally Blonde brings camp and rhythm to the Black Box

As the lights dimmed on Saturday night, Dec. 7, for the beginning of the last performance of Legally Blonde at the Harlene Marley Black Box Theater, you could feel the buzz of excitement in the air as people waited in their seats. When the show started, the audience was blown away by the exciting opening number, which featured the majority of the ensemble as extremely bubbly sorority members. That passion never dimmed for the rest of the performance. One could see the amount of work that every cast member put into their role to bring their best performance to the stage.

Legally Blonde follows Elle Woods, president of the sorority Delta Nu, as she follows her ex-boyfriend to Harvard Law School in an attempt to prove that she can be “serious.” Throughout the musical, Elle shows her classmates again and again not to judge by appearances as she continually surpasses others in her classes and in the courtroom. Elle, played by Olivia Marr ’20, not only surprised other characters in the musical, but also captivated the audience with her story of success.

Marr said playing Elle Woods was a unique experience thanks to the people involved in the production. “They say ‘never play your dream roles,’” she said, “and I still think there are situations where that might apply — but there was something about this particular production, particularly the people involved, that made it really easy to let go of that superstition.” The entire show shone with fantastic vocals, which were added to by Mackenna Goodrich’s ’20 energetic choreography.

“[The rehearsal process] was very intense,” said Valeria Garcia-Pozo ’23, who played the judge and was a member of the ensemble. “But at the end I was like, ‘oh, I understand,’ because it was worth it … and I’ve never felt such a positive reaction to any show or production that I’ve ever been involved in.”

That positivity was felt both on and offstage as audience members were transported into the scenes with a simple yet effective stage design which included a few larger set pieces and numerous props.

When this set was coupled with good lighting design, the production team allowed the cast to shine even brighter on stage. “Getting to work with this cast and getting to see the product of so many months of hard work … it has been worth it and I’m really grateful to have been able to have this experience,” Garcia-Pozo said.

The production team, including Talia Light Rake ’20 as director, Kelly Myers ’22 as music director and Cora Cicala ’22 as stage manager, allowed this community to form through their leadership, creating a beautiful show with heartfelt moments that are felt throughout the story. You could see this throughout the performance as the chemistry between the cast members clearly showcased the friendships that had been formed.

Legally Blonde showcased an extremely talented cast and crew that allowed this story to be passed on to the audience, showcasing that when you put work into something, whether it is law school or a theatrical production, it certainly pays off.