Writers come to campus

Writers come to campus

The annual Kenyon Review Literary Festival takes over Gambier this weekend with a variety of literary events. Here are a few writers to look out for in the upcoming days.

Thursday: Remi Kanazi

“death becomes/exciting/until it isn’t/until boredom sets in/and desensitization begins,” Remi Kanazi writes in his poem “Until It Isn’t.” The Palestinian-American poet is promoting his latest collection, Before the Bomb Drops: Rising up from Brooklyn to Palestine. Though this is not a Lit Fest event, Kanazi has taught and performed poetry throughout the United States and the Middle East, and he has contributed political commentary to The New York Times, Salon and BBC Radio, among other news outlets. He will read at the Horn Gallery this Thursday for a 7 p.m.

Friday: Daniel Mark Epstein

Writer Daniel Mark Epstein ’70 is no stranger to Kenyon. After graduating from the College, he returned as the Thomas Chair of Creative Writing in the spring of 2012 to teach writing classes. A prolific writer, Epstein has written biographies of figures ranging from recent Nobel Laureate Bob Dylan to poet Edna St. Vincent Millay, to members of the Lincoln family. He has also published   eight collections of poetry, including his most recent The Glass House, and  three of his plays have reached stages in New York and Baltimore. See him in Peirce Lounge at 7 p.m.

Saturday: Hilary Mantel

Students may have grabbed a copy of Dame Hilary Mantel’s historical novel Wolf Hall earlier this semester, when the Kenyon Review handed them out for free. Of all Mantel’s bestselling novels, this one has gotten a lot of buzz: The Royal Shakespeare Company recently adapted the book, which traces Oliver Cromwell’s family, for the stage, and BBC Two made a television adaptation. The two-time winner of the Man Booker Prize is the speaker for the Kenyon Review Literary Festival’s keynote event in Rosse Hall at 8 p.m. Mantel will come to campus after receiving the Kenyon Review Award for Literary Achievement at a gala dinner in New York City tonight.