New zine To Be Human will publish work by student artists

This summer, Bailey Luke ’17 realized she had no idea what other senior art majors were creating. So, she began the creation of To Be Human (TBH), a new platform for student to share their art. The new bi-monthly art zine, which will showcase the work of Kenyon students, released its first edition, “We Are TBH,” last week.

“The most human things we do change the universe,” Luke said of the inspiration behind the zine’s name. “Art is the pinnacle of that activity.”

Zines are essentially mini magazines — this one was made by cutting and folding one piece of paper that unfolds to reveal one large picture on the back. Though the first issue of the zine contains the work of TBH’s members, future issues will comprise entirely of submissions.

TBH isn’t the first zine to appear at Kenyon. Last year, there was a zine that released one issue but was discontinued before its founders could create a second. Luke doesn’t want to see TBH suffer the same fate: It is currently one of the only print sources for sharing student-made art at Kenyon.

“There are so many magazines for English majors,” Luke said.

Assistant Professor of Art History and American Studies Austin Porter consults the TBH staffers on the project, but the zine itself is organized completely by students. Different editors will work on each issue of the zine, and editors have the option to only work on a single issue and then assume different roles in TBH; Luke is unsure if she will work on all the issues, but she hopes that, in the future, art professors will help distribute the zines — for the first issue, the team left 150 copies of the zine in Peirce Hall.

When creating the first issue, Luke noticed that most of the pieces used a monochromatic palette; three were sculptures each made of a single material. One was an all brown pottery piece, another was a wooden sculpture and the third was made using only red metal beams.

The zine is still in its infancy, and Luke is looking for all the help and submissions she can get. Future editions of TBH will be themed; Luke gave portraits as a possible example. A TBH website is currently under construction, and will feature write-ups of the artists featured in the zine.

Luke wants to see TBH become a regular fixture at Kenyon, but the staff currently consists of nine seniors and one junior from a variety of majors. For the zine to continue after the end of the 2016-2017 academic year, more students will need to get involved.

All art submitted to tobehumantbh@gmail.com will be stored in a digital archive, and pieces will be chosen for publication based on their theme.