Zine GRRRLS

Zine GRRRLS

by Devon Musgrave-Johnson

On Monday, Melissa Rogers, back left, a PhD candidate in women’s studies at the University of Maryland, came to Kenyon to give a lecture and demonstration on zines entitled “Making Zines as Feminist Praxis.”

Zines are smaller, less expensive versions of magazines and are made and distributed by independent artists rather than by large companies. They usually are made to distribute information or share ideas.

The talk was organized by Jessica Walker, a visiting instructor of women’s and gender studies who is also a doctoral candidate at Maryland. Rogers focused on the power that zines have in spreading particularly controversial information.

“With zines, the bar is actually a little bit lower about, ‘Who do I need to impress with this?’” Rogers said. “Instead it becomes about the content.”

Rather than focusing on mass appeal, the makers of zines are able to focus on the art that they are producing. Students and faculty who attended the event were able to try their hand at making their own zines using magazines, paper scraps and markers. Maddy Farr ’18, front left, Emma Klein ’17 and back right Evie Kennedy ’17 are pictured crafting zines.