Binchois Consort to serenade Brandi

Binchois Consort to serenade Brandi

by Erica Rabito

Renowned vocalists The Binchois Consort will be performing their program Music for Henry V and the Battle of Agincourt tonight at 8 in Brandi Recital Hall.

The concert is part of the Kenyon Taylor Concert Series, founded by former music professor Kenneth L. Taylor to finance performances of music from the Middle Ages through the 18th century with funds he left to the College following his death in 1993. Kenyon is the group’s first destination on a tour that includes two performances at The Cloisters at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City and one at Haverford College in Pennsylvania.

The Binchois Consort consists of altos Mark Chambers, Tim Travers-Brown and David Allsopp, tenors Matthew Vine, Stephen Harrold, Nick Madden and Dominic Bland and bass Jimmy Holliday. Conductor Andrew Kirkman founded the group in 1995. Performing a wide repertoire of medieval music, such as Gregorian chant and masses, extensively across Europe and the U.S., the Consort has garnered critical acclaim from various publications and music professionals around the globe.

“They’re excellent musicians that really know this style, and are thorough, complete professionals,” said Professor of Music Dane Heuchemer, who organizes the Taylor Concert Series. “They’re also, if you will, of the liberal arts mind. They are scholar singers — it’s not just a process of learning how to sing it in tune, it’s how much is this rhythmic value based upon what I know of this notational style.”

The sophistication of the Binchois Consort is displayed in the deep, rich voices of their performers, and the attention they pay to perfecting the difficult harmonies present in music of the medieval period.