Other artists’ lyrics don’t cut it for Goodman ’18

by Devon Musgrave-Johnson

Last year, Kenyon band SPORTS captivated the on-campus music scene, but now that many of its members have graduated, they have left a musical hole to be filled. Amanda Goodman ’18 may be just the musician to step up to the plate.

In high school, Goodman was a musical-theater geek, trained with an opera singer and taught herself how to play guitar using YouTube tutorials. Yet all of these creative outlets were not enough for Goodman, who began to write her own music at age 13.

“Theater is a really creative thing, but I wanted to make a product of my own,” Goodman said. “Songs that I knew never said exactly what I wanted to say, so I was like, ‘I guess the only way is to write it myself.’”

Upon her arrival at Kenyon last year, Goodman was well prepared to make a musical splash. She started out performing at a few open mics at the Horn Gallery and was soon contacted by WKCO, Kenyon’s radio station, for inclusion in its annual student compilation album.

Through this opportunity, Goodman met Teddy Farkas ’16, now a general manager and recording studio manager of WKCO. Goodman has spent a considerable amount of time in the studio creating her own album.

“She is a really talented singer-songwriter, so I am super excited to see more of her on campus,” Farkas said.

Goodman’s album, titled Until My Lips Fall Off, will feature 11 songs. She plans to complete it sometime this academic year.

“A lot of my songs are about putting myself into something so much that it becomes harmful or destructive in a way, so I felt like it sort of made sense,” Goodman said, referring to the title.

Goodman’s subdued, melodic musical style is gripping and mature, yet highlights her lyrics and the beautiful stories she has to tell about her life and her relationships.

Goodman has also enjoyed the chance to open for different musical acts at the Horn. Last year she opened for singer/songwriter Julia Holter and this year she opened for the band R.ring.

Though Kenyon has only received a glimpse of her talent so far, Goodman may have a lot to offer the campus. It may be too soon to tell if she will fill the gap left by SPORTS, but music lovers and Kenyon students alike should keep their eyes out for Goodman, who said she plans to continue making music for the rest of her time at Kenyon.