WKCO puts Kenyon music scene on paper with new zine

by Bailey Blaker

With the creation of its first music zine, WKCO has become more than just a radio station. The zine, which will debut on Sept. 19, is the first in a line of new projects the or- ganization plans to undertake this academic year.

Sophomores Sonia Calzaretta, Maddie Farr and Stephanie Holstein took control of the project early on. The trio worked tirelessly over the summer to compile content for the publication from the most compel- ling WKCO blog posts from last year. The project will include DJ spotlights, student-curated playlists, album reviews and visual art pieces.

The project expands on the WKCO blog which was resurrected last year. While the zine will not in- clude any original content this year, the print publication will act as a physical counterpart to articles pub- lished online. Farr is passionate about the publication and what it may bring to the WKCO blog readership. “I like the idea of … having things both on- line and in print,” Farr said. “The zine is just another way for the station to be more of a presence on campus.”

The project is rooted in the efforts of Julia Waldow ’17, who refurbished the existing WKCO blog last year and also aided the publication of the zine. Waldow, the blog’s editor-in-chief and a former design editor for the Collegian, is currently studying abroad in Granada, Spain. She will return to the helm as co- editor with Holstein for the spring semester. “The zine has been a long time coming,” Holstein said. “A lot of people have wanted to do it for years. [Waldow] really took the blog last year and transformed it into what it isnow.”

The zine has been years in the making, according to WKCO co- general manager Teddy Farkas ’16. “Now that we have all of this great material from the blog that we’ve been accumulating, we can finally be at the point where we’re releasing a zine,” Farkas said. He hopes the zine will act as a way to engage with mem- bers of the Kenyon community who wouldn’t otherwise be involved with WKCO. “We want people to have more tangible things from the sta- tion, especially the blog,” Farkas said.

With plans for alternative programming such as NPR-like talk shows, the zine is hopefully just one of many new prospects for Gam- bier’s own 91.9 FM. WKCO co-general manager Erin Delaney ’16 wants the station to sustain this momentum. “I think we are more organized than we’ve ever been,” Delaney said. “There’s a long history of zines in the music community. … I think it helps to build a culture.”

Furthering student involvement with WKCO is the prime motivation

behind the publication. Calzaretta, who copy edits the WKCO blog, believes the zine will further engage students who aren’t traditionally in- terested in radio. “We look for stuff that’s really unique … that we haven’t seen before,” Calzaretta said. “The

radio station isn’t just about some- one sitting in the dark on their com- puter playing whatever music they like — it’s this whole diverse range of subjects that can be covered.” The WKCO zine reflects the station’s eye toward expansion.