Motown to meet mudras in Spring Dance Concert

Cora Markowitz

By India Amos

Five student dancers and three Kenyon professors will ring in the final weekend of the semester with their Spring Dance Concert, in which they’ll showcase their hard-earned talents “The Spring Dance Concert is a combination of faculty, student and guest artists’ work, so there is a whole range of pieces in there,” Professor of Dance Julie Brodie said.

The concert, which features work by Pankti Dalal ’17, Sandro Aravena Perez ’14, Nicki Krzeminski ’14, Colin McArthur ’15 and Elizabeth Furman ’15, will consist of choreography created and performed by the students. Each student is responsible for creating his/her own work, the audience can expect to see dances that range from traditional Indian to Motown, all the way to pointe, a dance performed on the tips of the shoes. “I think just the range of pieces that are going to be in there, they are all very different, very unique,” Brodie said. The student-choreographed pieces will come together as a type of anthology and will compliment one another, though no two share the same aesthetic.

In addition to the student works, Brodie said she and her colleagues, Assistant Professor of Dance Kora Radella and Visiting Instructor of Dance Olivier Tarpaga, will also be showcasing their work at the concert. There is also a senior dance, Brodie said, which was choreographed by Pamela Newell, who choreographed Being Susan Sontag and Ultreya! or my soul has no legs. “She is a professional choreographer who came in and did an intensive residency for 10 days and set this piece with the senior students,” Brodie explained. “Intensive” seems to be a common theme running through the entire production and performance of the Spring Dance Concert. “We start working the second week of classes,” Brodie said. We hold auditions and then we just hit the ground running.”

The dedication these students and faculty members have for their craft is commendable, and Brodie described the logistics that went into deciding which dancers would perform and which routines they would do. “We have auditions at the beginning of the semester, so anybody who is taking a technique class is eligible to audition for the concert and then the choreographers select the students they want to work with,” she said. “Part of that is based on schedule and part of it is based on what they’re looking for in terms of their particular needs as choreographers.” Brodie hinted at what can be expected at the performance. “Most are in the modern idiom,” she explained, “but within modern dance, there are many different ways of expressing yourself.”

Since the performers themselves prove to be uinque, it comes as no surprise that the concert will feature a wide variety of techniques and style. There will be three opportunities to see the concert: tonight, Friday and Saturday from 8:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. in the Bolton Theater. It is open to students, faculty and community members.