With interim manager, Stage Femmes continues season

by India Amos

When Emma Miller ’15 and Julia Greer ’15 took off for a semester abroad this year, they left behind their presidential roles in the recently re-founded Stage Femmes.

Rather than letting their departure stall the forward momentum of the group, Stage Femmes took a rather unconventional approach: they elected an interim head.

Stage Femmes has a strong history of going against the conventions that govern the Kenyon theatre world, and the innovative group now shifts into its third semester under the leadership of Co-Presidents Miller and Greer.

While the two are studying off-campus, the troupe decided against replacing their forward-thinking managers and instead opted to elect Casey Griffin ’14, a senior American studies and drama major, as the acting manager of the group.

“Casey’s on her game,” Anna Yukevich ’16 said. “She knows what’s up. She was the obvious leader.” Yukevich is a drama major and a Stage Femmes board member.

The entire board echoed Yukevich’s sentiment, and with the excitement already circulating from their latest production, Boy Gets Girl, Griffin easily made the transition from literary agent to acting president.

When asked why they chose to shift this management style for their organization, Griffin indicated that the arrangement is not permanent.

“[Miller and Greer will] come back and continue being co-presidents next year,” Griffin explained.

Stage Femmes is Kenyon’s premier organization for the advocation of women’s involvement in theatre, and their respect for each other is refreshing. Yukevich described her support for the organization and for her fellow Stage Femmes, saying they “all love each other very much.”

Stage Femmes was brought back to life last fall based on the conviction that women should have a stronger presence in dramatic productions on campus — be that in the form of writing, directing or acting.

“I think it’s important to expose the voices of women in theatre because there are so many good parts for men out there,” Yukevich said.

Since its revival, Stage Femmes has had an excellent record of meeting its goals. Their spring season looks promising, with the premier of Boy Gets Girl and The Crowd You’re in With, both plays written by Rebecca Gilman, a professor at Northwestern University. Griffin said she has adored Gilman’s work since she was exposed to it in a film class at Kenyon, and has been waiting for the opportunity to work with some of the playwright’s material.

Griffin could barely contain her enthusiasm when discussing Gilman and her work.

“[Gilman’s] solidified in her career and [is] a good female playwright at this time,” Griffin said.

“Gilman is a contemporary woman playwright, which is important,” Yukevich added.

Griffin confirmed Gilman will be at Kenyon for the opening weekend of The Crowd You’re in With and will be available to talk about her work.

While Stage Femmes’ main objective is promoting women’s roles in the field of drama, both the organization does not close its doors to males. In the past, plays have been written and directed by men, and male Kenyon students are often enlisted to act in the productions.

Despite facing changes to the drama troupe, Stage Femmes is looking towards their new opportunities with eagerness and positive expectations for the coming semester.

“We’re coming off a really good place,” Griffin said. “Now our amazing presidents, Emma and Julia, are abroad, and I’m hoping this semester will still be good.”