Faculty art show to premier this Friday in Gund

by Phoebe Carter | Staff Writer

Take a stroll through the Horvitz Art Building on any given night, and laboring away on photography projects, paintings, sketches and illustrations will be a slew of beleaguered art students working well past midnight. But these aren’t the only artists hard at work preparing for a final show. The Kenyon art faculty are also among these creators, and their work will be displayed this Friday in the Gund Gallery.

A series of collages critiquing mass culture as well as three photographs exploring the intersection of art, nature and human responsibility are among the wide variety of work featured in the upcoming 2014 Studio Art Faculty Exhibition. These two series, by Visiting Associate Professor of Art Craig Hill and Associate Professor of Art Marcella Hackbardt respectively, will be shown alongside work by other current Kenyon art faculty.

“This exhibit gives us the opportunity to show our students that we too are engaged in the same struggles and rewards that they experience as they strive to make meaningful works of art,” Professor of Art Gregory Spaid said. Spaid’s photography series Short Stories will be featured in the exhibit, which opens in the Gund Gallery this Friday.

Oak Elm Ash, an artist’s book by Visiting Instructor of Art Ellen Sheffield featured in the exhibit, commemorates the grove of trees lost to the construction of the Gallery.

Also featured are Associate Professor of Art Read Baldwin’s landscape paintings of mountains in New Hampshire’s Presidential Range. Visiting Assistant Professor of Studio Art Emily Zeller’s video series Myths will address her relationship to the natural world, femininity and coming of age in a patriarchal family.

In conjunction with the exhibition will be Professor of Art Karen Snouffer’s post-sabbatical show, Subrural, done in collaboration with artists Jenn Figg and Matthew McCormack. Snouffer describes this work as “an immersive installation” which will explore the intersection of nature and urbanization. Her performance, which will highlight work developed on sabbatical last year, will be this Friday at 7:00 p.m.

The biennial Faculty Exhibition is the only time that Kenyon’s art faculty display their work collectively in Gambier and often the only opportunity for students to see faculty pieces. There will be an opening reception this Friday, Jan. 24 from 5-8 p.m. It is open to the community.