Section: archive

Men’s soccer rolls, ready for playoffs

By Esteban Bachelet

With one game left in the regular season, the Kenyon men’s soccer team is poised to finish strong. After defeating Hiram College 6-0 on Saturday, Oct. 26, and Wittenberg University 6-1 on Wednesday, Oct. 30, the Lords are just behind Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) for the top spot in the conference.

Both teams enjoy a 6-0-2 conference record, but OWU has the tiebreaker because of a better goal differential.

“The season has gone as well as it could have gone,” Josh Lee ’17 said. “We lost some games that we shouldn’t have lost, but we are in a good position.”

The victory against Hiram boosted the Lords to 13-3-2 overall. But the Lords felt they were not as dominant as the 6-0 score would suggest. The Lords got off 12 shots in the second half, twice as many as in the first half.

“When we did get our chances early, we put the ball in the back of the net,” Flynn said.

The first goal came courtesy of Flynn off an assist from Tony Amolo ’17. Two minutes later, Flynn returned the favor and assisted on Amolo’s goal.

At the 38th minute, the Lords sank Hiram further with Lee’s strike from distance.

The game then turned after halftime when a Hiram player picked up two yellow cards. Down to 10 men and trailing by three, the rest of the game became a formality.

“We put another three away and just hung out,” Lee said.

Amolo and Flynn each added a goal in the second half, and Nicholas Patterson ’16 scored the final goal.

“It goes back to last season when we started to figure out how to not beat ourselves,” Flynn said. “We’ve had freshmen who have come in and added a lot of depth and added goals. We are continuing the grind-out wins when we are not playing well, and when we are playing well we are pushing hard [to extend leads]. This year’s version of Lords soccer is able to win games even when not playing well.”

Kenyon will conclude its regular season when the Lords host Oberlin on Saturday, Nov. 2 at 3:30 p.m.

[starbox id=”esteban_bachelet”]