Section: archive

2014 Relay sets higher fundraising goal

By Staff

To help fight cancer, Kenyon is about to see a lot more purple.

Relay for Life (RFL), a national campaign affiliated with the American Cancer Society to promote cancer research and prevention, famously uses the color purple.

Officially, RFL’s college fundraiser, known as “Paint the Campus Purple,” begins in April, but, this year, Kenyon will start early.

“We figured we’d get a head start,” RFL co-leader Chelsea Katzeman ’14 said.

Yesterday, the Village Inn devoted its weekly trivia night to RFL. For the rest of the week the VI will serve purple beer and donate proceeds to RFL.

Additionally, this Saturday, the restaurant will host a “Win the Fight” benefit featuring student bands. RFL co-leader Hannah Laub ’16 praised the VI’s generosity. “They don’t have to do this for us, and we’re eternally grateful for everything they’re doing,” she said.

Kenyon’s athletic community plans to pitch in as well. “Tailgate for Life” will take place this Saturday during the Lords’ last home game of the season, which will take place at 1 p.m. at McBride Field. Relay volunteers will staff the event.

“Relay kicked butt last year,” Katzeman said. “Our goal for the relay was $50,000 and we finished with $70,003.”

In terms of fundraising per capita, that $70,003 put Kenyon on the map as the second-highest RFL fundraiser in the nation, according to RFL’s Public Relations Co-Chair Evie Kennedy ’17. Kenyon’s RFL team hopes to repeat this success ラ $70,000 is this year’s goal.

To help reach this threshold, RFL T-shirts will be available for purchase at Peirce Dining Hall and the VI. RFL’s organizers also hinted that they might sell a cookbook, consisting of recipes submitted by faculty and students, as a fundraiser.

RFL will culminate with its signature all-night event at the Toan Track of the Kenyon Athletic Center, and its organizers say they are confident Kenyon will meet its fundraising goal by the spring deadline.

[starbox id=”admin”]