Section: archive

Phi Kaps charged with hazing

By Lauren Toole

On Monday, April 8, the College filed a cease and desist order against the Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity (Phi Kaps) requiring them to suspend any and all chapter activities due to charges of hazing during their pledging process. The case is currently under investigation by the Office of Campus Safety and the administration.

According to Tommy Brown ’13, president of Phi Kaps, on Sunday, April 7, Campus Safety entered the Phi Kaps lounge to investigate a potential hazing. Both Brown and Safety declined to comment on the specifics of the incident because the case is ongoing.

The Phi Kaps submitted a letter of proposed sanctions and reflections on what happened in light of the incident, but have not received a response from the administration. The letter was submitted to Dean of Students Hank Toutain and is currently being processed by Assistant Dean of Students Tacci Smith and Director of Student Activities and Greek Life Christina Mastrangelo-Haas.

Mastrangelo, Smith and Toutain declined to comment because the matter is still making its way through the College conduct system.

“We understand what occurred was out of line with Kenyon’s policy on hazing,” Brown said. “We look forward to working with the administration and national chapter to change our pledging process so that it is completely in line with Kenyon’s policy.”

The Phi Kaps have not completed pledging, and all chapter activities are on hold until they hear back from the administration. Brown is confident, however, that they will finish the process before the end of the year.

“There is still plenty of time left in the year,” Brown said. “We hope to [finish pledging].”

Brown hopes to move past this incident as quickly as possible and work with the administration to find a resolution. The administration has not yet released its decision, but Brown believes that it will notify the Phi Kaps shortly.

“We’re fully confident that we will be in good standing with the College and international going forward past this incident,” Brown said. “They just need to review the letter we submitted.”

[starbox id=”lauren_toole”]