Section: archive

Nugent sells clothing to raise money

By Henri Gendreau

Peirce Lounge was awash in purple on Monday as President S. Georgia Nugent auctioned off Kenyon-colored jewelry, clothing and household items to raise money for her S. Georgia Nugent Award in Creative Writing. The $12,000-a-year scholarship goes to a talented writer, often a graduate of the Kenyon Review‘s Young Writers program, who enrolls at Kenyon.

Kathryn Lake, assistant to the president, said between 11:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on April 15, the sale raised over $1,000. “We did indeed sell quite a few things and so we felt it was really a worthwhile endeavor,” Lake said.

“I was pleased with [the auction],” Nugent said. “But I was a little disappointed that more students didn’t come.”

While Nugent said she hopes to hold a second sale during Reunion Weekend 2013 in May to auction off the rest of her purple possessions, Lake said, “We thought it would also be nice to give current students and staff and administrators an opportunity to possibly buy a memento.”

Just outside the lounge, students could also sign a three-foot tall card to wish Nugent farewell and take one of the 500 freshly baked cupcakes with icing ラ purple, of course.

[starbox id=”HenriGendreau”]