Section: archive

Pelotonia Pedals Back to Gambier

By Phoebe Roe

The Pelotonia bike ride, which has raised $25 million since its inception in 2008 and partnered with Kenyon last summer, will return to Kenyon next August.

The Pelotonia organization has been raising money for the past four years with a fundraising goal of $50 million in mind.

Recently the foundation reached the $43 million dollar mark, and that goal is finally in sight.Money comes from donations and from the riders themselves, who have to raise at least $1,200 to participate in the race.

Fundraising may seem daunting for college students, but is very doable, according to Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman.

Money donated to the Kenyon team is offset to the students to help them raise more money, he said.

Kohlman hopes that bringing the race back to Kenyon will attract more students than the two that participated last year.

Participants will pedal from Columbus to Gambier, where they will stay overnight at Kenyon and leave in the morning to cross the finish line in New Albany.

The race will follow the same track as last year with riders traversing anywhere from 25 to 180 miles.

Kenyon hopes to make the Pelotonia bike ride an annual event with each year better then the last. Last year was the first year we [hosted the event] so now we can build on that to make it better, Kohlman said.

Students interested in biking or volunteering should visit Pelotonias website to donate to or join Kenyons team.

[starbox id=”PhoebeRoe”]