Section: archive

Faculty, Staff to Receive Pay Raises

By Erin Mershon

In addition to a one-time $4,000 lump-sum raise for each full-time and tenure-track faculty member, the Board of Trustees has approved a 2.8 percent increase in the salary pool for these faculty, according to President S. Georgia Nugent. The salary pool for non-faculty employees will increase by 2 percent.

The salary pool for faculty will increase more than the pool for non-faculty because the trustees are particularly concerned with how Kenyon’s faculty salaries compare to those of its peer institutions.

“There’s a benchmark that we’re really trying to hit for faculty,” Nugent said. “The important thing is that this is not something that we expect to have happen again. It’s a one-time effort to try and gain ground on this problem of faculty salaries falling behind our peers.”

In the last year, two or three potential professors turned down positions at Kenyon because the offered salaries were too low, Nugent said.

“We had not really seen that until the last year or so,” she said. “… It’s not a lot, but this year we’re looking at eight open positions. You really don’t want to be losing the best people.”

At the same time, professors have accepted offers at Kenyon despite receiving offers with better salaries elsewhere, she said.

The new increase should put Kenyon’s faculty salaries on par with those of its peer institutions. The increased salaries will fall within the top 20 percent of salaries for this type of college, Nugent said.

“It’s not that we’re at the bottom of all salaries,” she said. “The trustees have said, given our stature, we ought to be in that top [quintile]. So what we’re doing is just inching our way into that top group.

[starbox id=”erin_mershon”]