Section: archive

Delta Tau Delta Blood Drives Begin

By Marika Garland

Delta Tau Delta will hold its first American Red Cross blood drive of the year on Friday, Sept. 30 from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in Gund Commons. Students can sign up in Peirce Atrium this week from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. daily, according to Delta Tau Delta Community Service Chair Kris Reslow ’13. “For this drive, our goal is to get 50 units of blood, though we expect to get as many as 75,” he said. “The first blood drive of the year is always our most popular, and the Red Cross is hoping to capitalize on Kenyon students’ enthusiasm.”

The local blood supply is critically low in the Central Ohio region due to the severity of last winter, a drop in donations over the summer and canceled blood drives as a result of Hurricane Irene, according to the Red Cross’ September newsletter. “Typically, we get between 30 and 50 donors per blood drive, making us one of the Red Cross’ top donor programs in Ohio,” Reslow said. “There will be four other blood drives this year, though we encourage everyone who is eligible to give right away, since the need is so urgent.”

[starbox id=”marika_garland”]