Ladies cross country thrives, Lords finish 12th place at OWU

The Kenyon Ladies and Lords cross country teams finished third and 12th, respectively, in the Ohio Wesleyan Invitational this weekend. It was their first of four regular season meets before heading to the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) and NCAA Championships.

The Ladies had strong runners throughout the race, with three of the Ladies’ seven runners finishing top 20 in a field of 237, and none finishing outside the top 50. Leading the pack for the Ladies was  Gracie Moses ’20, who completed the 6,000-meter course at Liberty Park with a time of 22:50.4 and finished seventh in the meet. Other impressive Ladies included newcomer Eleanor Tetreault ’21 (22:57.6) and Tate Serletti ’20 (23:06.9), who finished 14th and 15th respectively.

With an influx of young runners, the Kenyon Ladies cross country team could be a major force in the NCAC this season and could possibly win the entire conference. By finishing third against stiff competition, the Ladies showed that they  could be a force in the conference  throughout this season. They finished first out of the six NCAC teams represented and defeated an Oberlin team that was ranked 15th in the most recent NCAA Division-III United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) poll.

The Lords had a slightly weaker showing at the invitational, finishing 12th overall in the 8,000-meter races. They finished fourth out of the six NCAC teams competing while finishing just 20 points shy of the 23rd-USTFCCCA-ranked Mount Union Raiders.

“We were really focused on beating teams from our conference in the meet,” Vince Lewis ’20 said. “We beat two teams in the conference at that meet so we were very pleased with our outcome.”

Lewis finished third among the Lords and 93rd overall in the meet, crossing the finish line in 28:03.1. “It was an okay start,” Lewis said. “The team is looking to run as a pack more the next race, which will hopefully shave off more seconds.”

As for his teammates, the top Lords runner was 33rd-placed Kyle Rose ’19, completing the course with a 26:52.5, and the second placed Lords’ runner was 68th-placed Tommy Johnson ’20 with a 27:30.4.

The Lords and Ladies will both be competing in the Otterbein Invitational, the second of their four meets on the road to the NCAC tournament  where they will be going up against division rivals Oberlin, Otterbein, Ohio Wesleyan, Wittenberg and Wooster. “We’re looking to annihilate Wooster,” Lewis said about Saturday’s meet.

While the Lords look to defeat new opponents, the Ladies will try to defend their title of best team in the NCAC as they attempt to hold off an Oberlin team that only fell short to them by two points last weekend.