KCSO continues to investigate murder of local man

The Knox County Sheriff’s Office found the body of Nick Remillard, 20, in the swimming pool of his Gaskin Avenue home on June 11 with a bullet hole through his cheek, according to the Knox County Sheriff’s Report. Police identified Kevin Remillard, 48, Nick Remillard’s cousin, as a main suspect. Kevin Remillard left a note in the residence reading that “he had killed Nick,” according to the arrest warrant issued by the Knox County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO). Remillard turned himself into the public defender’s office on June 14 after three days.

Remillard was indicted on two charges: one count of murder, an unclassified felony, and one count of tampering with evidence, a third degree felony. He also received a gun specification for committing the offense with a firearm, which carries a mandatory three-year sentence in Ohio. The penalty for murder is 15 years to life. Remillard has pleaded not guilty to all charges, according to a statement from the Knox County Public Defender John Pyle, who will serve of his lawyer. A court date has not been set.

KCSO declined to comment due to the ongoing nature of the investigation.

Roy Daubenspeck, 58, lives next to the Remillard residence on Gaskin Avenue. He said he had met Kevin Remillard and occasionally gave him part-time work for various landscaping projects. On the morning before Nick’s body was discovered, Daubenspeck saw Kevin drinking a beer out in his driveway and said Remillard appeared to be in a “chipper” mood.

Around 8 p.m. that night, Daubenspeck said he found pile of Kevin’s possessions in the Remillard driveway with a note on the top in Kevin Remillard’s handwriting that read, “I’m sorry. I’ve snapped. I just can’t take it anymore,” according to Daubenspeck.

Daubenspeck went to the Office of Campus Safety to report the incident and then ran back home and called 911.

Daubenspeck described Kevin Remillard as a “loner.” He said he often liked to drink and occasionally had some disturbing ideas while he was intoxicated.

“When he was drinking, he would get kind of a little bit dark, kind of a weird sense of humor,” Daubenspeck said. “[Kevin] got a little bit of a superior thing, like ‘everybody’s an idiot’ … he just had an attitude that was almost like he thought he had a right to kind of do whatever he wanted.”

Steven Miller, who also lives on Gaskin Avenue next to the Remillard residence, said he only heard about the murder later in the day. Miller has two daughters and said the incident frightened his family.

“We came home and there were sheriffs outside, and we didn’t know what was going [on] until I talk[ed] to our neighbor,” Miller said. “It was awful … we didn’t expect it to happen.”

Miller said his family kept their doors locked while Remillard was at large. However, Miller said they have moved on since the incident.

“I would have expected something like that to shake things up, and it did,” Miller said. “But it wasn’t this awful, ground-shaking thing for us.”

Bob Hooper, director of Campus Safety, wrote in an email to the Collegian that he would not comment on the incident.

“I appreciate the interest in the events of the summer that had a significant impact to our department, this is a topic that is off limits to anyone else … This is not a topic that is up for discussion, the department continues to heal together and is where we all want to keep it,” Hooper wrote.

Bill Gardner

Bill Gardner

Bill Gardner is a junior and the current Associate Managing Editor of the Collegian.

You can reach him via email at gardnerw@kenyon.edu.
Bill Gardner