Golf team starts strong, breaks two Kenyon College records

Kenyon Golf broke two Kenyon records in their season opener: an 18-hole record from last year (286), shooting a 285 and a 36-hole record that was set in 2014 (583) with a final score of 581.  The team placed fourth out of a 14-team field at the Transylvania University Invitational, which included three teams that finished in the top four at the Division III NCAA championship last year.

“To compete with them and finish fourth is great, but our focus is on getting to April for the NCAC Conference Championship,” said Head Coach Grant Wallace. “This is just a step along the way and we still have a lot of work to do between now and April.”

Ryan Muthiora ’18 led Kenyon with two strong, under par rounds of 70 and 68, respectively, and 10 birdies in that final round. Muthiora’s score of -6 put him atop the score sheet of individual golfers, tied with Greensboro University’s Grant Powell. Lawrence Courtney ’21 had an impressive showing in his first collegiate tournament, shooting a 70 (-2) the first day and a 73 (+1) the following, ending one under par for the tournament and in 10th on the individual score sheet.

Following Muthiora and Courtney was Robert Williams ’19, who posted a 76 on Saturday and an improved 70 on Sunday, which was enough to land him tied for 25th for the weekend. Andrew Kotler ’21 finished off the Lords’ record-breaking weekend with a two-day overall score of 154, earning him a tie for 51st in the field.

“This freshman class is strong, and I look forward to watching them improve throughout the season,” Wallace said. “I also look forward to [having] Ryan [Muthiora], Robert [Williams] and Sadiq [Jiwa ’18] mentor them on what it takes to be successful at the collegiate level.”

The Lords hope to continue their impressive play in the Battle at the Brook, a two-day, two-round tournament hosted by Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio this weekend.