Lords split weekend doubleheader against Wittenberg Tigers

Mikey Arman named NCAC player of the week after swatting two home runs in four games.

Despite a tough season, the Lords are finishing up their schedule on a good note, having won three of their last four games. After sweeping Wilmington University in a doubleheader two weeks ago, the Lords split their senior day doubleheader against Wittenberg on Saturday afternoon. Although they dropped the first game to the Tigers by a score of 14-7, they bounced back offensively to win 14-2 in game two.

In game one, the Lords were doomed by a couple of crooked numbers put up by the Wittenberg offense on the scoreboard. Senior Connor Farrell was given the start on the mound in game one of his senior day, and threw the opening inning, allowing just one run despite hitting two batters. While the Lords would tie the game in the bottom of the frame on a sacrifice fly by Phillip Nam ’17, the tie would not last long, as the Tigers bounced back in the next inning to score five runs off of Tyler Roldan ’17. The Tigers had another big inning in the top of the seventh, when they would score four runs.

The Lords were strong on offense. In the bottom of the second inning, centerfielder Patrick O’Leary ’20 led off the frame by blasting a homer to center field, his second long ball of his first collegiate season. O’Leary also drove in the Lords’ third run with a sacrifice fly in the third inning that knocked in Jackson Celestin ’17, who had singled to lead off the inning. The bats went silent until the bottom of the sixth inning, when the team scored four runs, with three scoring off a double by cleanup hitter Mikey Arman ’18. The rally brought the Lords within three runs of the Tigers at 10-7, before the Tigers put the game away with the aforementioned four-run top of the seventh.

The Lords bounced back in game two to split the games 1-1. And they were carried to victory on the back of their lineup, which broke out to score 14 runs, including an eight run bottom of the sixth inning. Sophomore third baseman Matt Contreras broke the early scoreless tie in the bottom of the second, when he launched his fifth homer of the season, a two run shot with a runner on to give the Lords a 2-0 lead. That lead was doubled in the bottom of the third, when catcher Max Warren ’18 and Arman both hit solo home runs. For Warren, it was his first home run of the season, while Arman matched Conteras with his fifth. Will Oakley ’20 pitched 4.1 innings of one run ball to earn the first victory of his collegiate career. The Lords’ splitting the two games on Saturday was unusual, as they have either swept or been swept in most of their prior doubleheader. The 14 runs scored by the Lords marked their third highest scoring total of the season.

The North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) named Mikey Arman the player of the week on Monday for the first time in his three-year collegiate career. In leading the Lords to a stellar 3-1 week, Arman batted an impressive .643 with two home runs and eight runs batted in. The honor comes near the end of a strong overall season for Arman, who currently ranks seventh in the NCAC with 49 hits and 37 runs batted in. Arman, who has occupied the cleanup spot and right field position in the starting lineup for most of this season, will return in 2018 for his senior season.

The Lords will finish their season this upcoming weekend with three games against DePauw University as part of the NCAC Crossover Series. The Lords will play a doubleheader on Saturday and will cap off their middling season with their final game on Sunday afternoon. They will play all three games in Greencastle, Ind.