Lax’s season ends after blown lead

The Kenyon Ladies Lacrosse team lost to the Wittenberg Tigers in a heartbreaking 13-11 final and blew a second half three-goal lead in their final game of the season on Saturday. The loss kept the Ladies out of playoff positioning, leaving them with a final record of 3-5 in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) and 7-9 overall, the Ladies’ worst record since 2006.

The  defense and goalie Allie Dumas ’18 came up large, helping the Ladies take a 7-6 lead into halftime despite being outshot 21-17. The Ladies jumped early to start the second half, and by the time Kat Englert ’18 scored on a free position shot, the Ladies had a three-goal lead, the largest by either team in the game.

After Englert’s goal, however, things turned south for the Ladies. The Tigers came back immediately, scoring two goals without the ball leaving the Ladies’ end of the field. Within two minutes of Englert giving the Ladies a commanding lead, the Tigers cut their deficit to one. The Ladies scored one more goal, but the Tigers finished the game on a 6-1 run.  The Ladies finished in seventh place in the NCAC, far from the fourth place position the team found themselves in last year.

The season ended bittersweetly for several players, who were some of whom were the best in the conference at their positions. Englert led the NCAC with 31 goals in conference and finished third in points with 41 despite playing in one fewer game than most of her competitors. Dumas finished with the second highest save percentage in the NCAC, stopping 49.6 percent of the shots she faced.

The last game of the season was  heartbreaking for the seniors, who while always on the cusp, were never quite able to get over the hump and finish with a winning conference record or qualify for the conference tournament. Despite this, the senior group of Allie McLane ’17, Gia Biaggi ’17, Abby Coleman ’17 and Carrie Stevens ’17 stayed together through the course of  their four years and gave their all to the Ladies lacrosse team.

“I have loved playing with these girls since the beginning of my career here at Kenyon, and every year is an even better dynamic,” Mclane said. “I think this season has been particularly special for us since it is our last, so it is fun to really take in every last moment together.” After a career year with goals scored and tying her career high in points, McLane reflected that “We have certainly learned so much since our freshman year, but it has only helped us to become better players and people too.”

Next year the Ladies lacrosse team will be led by rising seniors Englert, Caitlin Augerson and Dumas, who will be the anchors on offense, defense and goal, respectively, as the Ladies try to qualify for their first conference tournament since 2013, when they won the conference.