Vol. 145 executive editors explain their vision for next year

It’s the first week of May: Final projects and papers are descending, Sendoff debauchery is at an end and the last issue of Volume 144 of the Collegian has arrived. And with it, we — next year’s editorial staff — are here to curate our vision for this newspaper and its place in our community atop the Hill.

Going into the 2017-2018 year, we hope to make this publication as transparent and accessible as possible. We want to reinforce connections with all members of the student body, faculty and administrators, as well as with the greater Gambier community, and be an approachable resource for everyone.

Our coverage should encompass all facets of academic, social and extracurricular life, and we cannot do that without you. Your input is essential every step of the way, whether it be for valuable knowledge on a breaking news story, a thought-provoking op-ed or a Facebook message about how we should improve. We’re available to you, and we’re dedicated to representing our community accurately and fairly.

We’re far from perfect, and we know it, but we’re asking for your help to get better. The three of us — Bailey Blaker and Gabrielle Healy, the two editors-in-chief, and Lauren Eller, the managing editor — plan to implement several changes to our reporting and editing process, starting in the fall of 2017.

The three of us will be improving and modifying our editorial process over the summer, and we look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments on where we might improve.

We understand that, from time to time, the Collegian has only offered a flat portrait of a Kenyon student — a white, cisgender, affluent one. We’ll be making a concerted effort to attract new voices within every section of the paper, as we believe a diversity of writers contributes to more interesting stories, and a more accurate representation of our campus community.

Furthermore, we plan to expand our coverage out of Gambier and into Mount Vernon. We hope to use these pages as a liaison between the College and those individuals who are not as closely involved in the daily academic activities.

We’ll join other newspapers across the country in following the effects of a new presidential administration and its impact on our students.

We want to make sure Gambier residents are aware of the choices of our congressman who are up for reelection in 2018, Republican Congressman Bob Gibbs and Democratic Senator Sherrod Brown. We’ll use our resources to prioritize fairness and accuracy, and fact-check students and administrators alike.

Lastly, we’re committed to the idea that the open exchange of information sustains a healthy community. 

We’re excited about where the newspaper will go next year. In the meantime, we hope professors and students alike all survive finals. If you don’t get enough sleep, we hope there’s plenty of coffee.