Lords lax suffers worst loss since 2014

Lords lacrosse played a rough game against Denison University on Wednesday night, falling 23-5 to the Big Red in the penultimate game of their regular season schedule. With the loss, the Lords fell to 5-7 overall and 3-4 in their North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) games.

The Big Red jumped out to a lead early in the game, when Denison sophomore Owen Armstrong scored a goal 52 seconds into the game to put his team out on top. The Big Red would score the next four goals to extend their lead to 5-0 at the end of the first quarter. In some respects the Lords were lucky to only give up five goals, as they allowed the Big Red to take 19 shots overall and 11 shots on goal in the quarter. The Lords, in contrast, were only able to get five shots, with only two on goal.

Rush Hogan ’20 tries to escape from being trapped by a Denison defender in Wednesday’s blowout defeat.

The Big Red scored their sixth goal of the game early in the second quarter before the Lords were even able to get on the board. At the 10:18 mark in the period, Pierce Kraft ’18 was able to sneak a shot past Denison goalie Stephen Paras to make the score 6-1. The goal was Kraft’s 18th of the season. Unfortunately, the goal did little to slow Denison’s offensive momentum, as the Big Red scored six more goals in the quarter and the next nine of the game to extend their lead into double digits at 12-1. Chris Ferraro ’18 finally broke the Big Red scoring streak with a goal of his own midway through the third quarter when he was assisted by fellow junior Jonah Florence. Alex Lopez ’17 scored Kenyon’s third goal six minutes later.

In garbage time, Robert Jacobs ’17 scored his 28th and 29th goals of the season, but the game’s result was well over by those final minutes. The Big Red scored 11 goals in the 17 minutes between Ferraro’s goal and the first of Jacobs’ goals to put their lofty scoring total at 23.

The loss was the worst of the year for the Lords. The last time the Lords lost by 18 goals or more was in the 2014 season when they lost by 21 goals to Denison. The Lords will hope to rebound from such a tough loss and get their NCAC record back to .500 when they take on Hiram College on Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. in Hiram, Ohio.

Noah Nash

Noah Nash '19, Sports Editor.

Latest posts by Noah Nash (see all)