Health and Counseling Center create overarching leadership position

This coming fall, the leadership structure of the Cox Health and the Counseling Center at Kenyon will look significantly different.

Both centers currently have their own respective directors in charge of the administrative work for each division. Beginning this summer, one director — who will be known as Director of Health and Counseling — will simultaneously oversee both centers. The search for this director is ongoing.

“We were able to restructure based on retirements and create one position overseeing both departments of health and counseling, in order to emphasize and encourage a more integrated approach to overall student wellness,” Vice President of Student Affairs Meredith Bonham ’92 said.

Director of Health Services Kim Cullers is excited for the creation of the new position and for the time it will free up for helping students.

“It is something that makes sense,” Cullers said. “Both the health care providers and the counselors upstairs are so busy taking care of students that it is difficult for us to get to meetings, be visible on campus and do the administrative work.”

Cullers said the new position will allow health workers to get out on campus and promote health education. The change will also further integrate the Health and Counseling Centers. Most immediately, students can expect to see more availability and more openings for appointments in the Health Center.

“I’m going to be out there taking care of students more,” Cullers said. “That’s actually what I enjoy best about my job. Going to meetings definitely isn’t my favorite thing to do.”

The directors in charge of the centers will undergo some job adjustments. Cullers’ title will change to Associate Director of Health Services.

Last June, the former Director of the Counseling Center Patrick Gilligan retired. Since then, Mike Durham and Nikki Keller have served as interim co-directors of the Counseling Center. Starting this fall, Durham will step into the role of Associate Director of Counseling.