Men’s tennis playing well as NCAC tournament approaches

The Lords win their 27th consecutive match against Wooster on home court on Tuesday.

Lords tennis continued their hot streak on Tuesday afternoon, dominating singles play in the midst of their 6-3 victory over The College of Wooster. With the victory over the Wooster Fighting Scots, a North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) opponent, the Lords improved to 3-0 in conference play. The win was also Kenyon’s 27th consecutive victory against Wooster in men’s tennis.

Despite losing two of their three doubles matches against the Fighting Scots, the Lords cruised to a relatively easy victory overall. Their single point in doubles came from the senior duo of Tristan Kaye ’17 and Mike Roberts ’17, who were victorious at No. 3 doubles with a score of 8-4. The Lords’ inability to seal the deal in their other two doubles matches led to the team being down 2-1 headed into singles play.

Kaye immediately evened the match up with his victory at No. 6 singles, when he defeated Wooster’s Andrew Long, a first year, to secure Kenyon’s second point of the match. Nicholas Paolucci ’19 followed with a shutout at No. 2 singles to give the Lords their first lead before Austin Diehl ’20 secured his 15th individual victory of the season with his triumph at No. 4. Weston Noall ’18 clinched the match and the overall victory for the Lords with his own individual win at No. 5, and Michael Liu ’18 put the cherry on top with the Lords sixth point coming from his performance at No. 3 singles. The Lords lost No. 1 singles but the match result was already secure at that point.

With just one regular season match left, Liu is feeling good about the team’s play. “Without a doubt, we can definitely hang with the top-10 teams in the country,” Liu said. The Lords tennis team is currently ranked 24th in Division-III sports.

“It’s all about finishing those big points and that’s what we need to do better,” Liu added. “As we move into conference, we need to maintain our focus and dominate as we have been doing for the past 10 straight years.”

The Lords will wrap up their regular season on Saturday with a home match against Oberlin College. Afterwards, the Lords will have about two weeks off before hosting the NCAC tournament, which takes place from April 28-30.